Construction is an expensive and lengthy process, it’s important to know who you’re teaming up with to complete it. Today on the blog we wanted to share 5 of the most important questions you should ask when hiring a contractor.
1. How long have you been in business?
· Longevity is proof of success, you tend to have more trust in a company that has been around for a while rather than a new company. This holds true to not only individual project completion success but overall company financial success as well
2. Will you be obtaining the permits required?
· Obtaining permits can be a stressful moment in the project and they take a couple of weeks to get and are required prior to the start of construction. Hiring a contractor who has the ability to obtain their own permits can assist on expediting the schedule and create realistic timing on when the project can officially begin.
3. What does the timeline look like?
· Scheduling is one of the biggest factors in a success project. It is imperative to hire a contractor who understands lead times on materials and how to effectively order to maintain a successful project.
4. How will you cleanup at the end of the day?
· A clean jobsite is a safe jobsite. Yes, it’s very important to keep your site clean for visual appearance in case the client wants to pay a visit. However, more importantly, a clean jobsite will help prevent injury and keep things organized. Hiring a contractor who takes pride in cleanliness will create a more successful project.
5. Is there a warranty on the materials?
· Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world where materials don’t break. Hiring a contractor who provides a warranty on their work will give you a level of comfortability with what is being installed. This can range from HVAC units to flooring. But it is very important to have a clear understanding on what is being covered by this warranty.